Current Occupation Demands (updated 11/5/17)
- Paid day off: The last monday of September is a paid day off for everyone at Reed until our demands are met.
- Cut ties with Wells Fargo: John Kroger and Lorraine Arvin sign a contract agreeing to change to a more ethical operating bank by May 2018.
- Data transparency: Release comprehensive data from the Admissions Office and Community Safety to RAR and other relevant racial justice organizations.
- No police state intervention: Faculty and Administration sign a contract promising not to call the police on peaceful protesters.
- Reparations grants: Emergency reparations grants for black students experiencing financial hardship.
- Board Plan B: Every student is entitled to Board Plan B. Students on financial aid receive Board Plan B as a part of their financial aid packages.
- Free tuition for staff kids: All children of staff get free Reed tuition.
- Honor Process Reform: Strike “orderly processes” and “such acts” from the dissent policy. Reform the honor process so that students have more power.
- Students of Color Dorm & Center: The new dorm should be the Students of Color dorm and include a Students of Color center. The SOCC should be assigned to a Grove house next year.
- Apologies: Apologies from John, Lorraine, Nigel, Bruce, Mike, Milyon, Michelle Valentis.
- Formerly Incarcerated as Protected Class: Include formerly incarcerated status as a protected class during the Reed application process, alongside race, gender etc.
- Set Aside Dougherty Grants: Set aside Dougherty grants for formerly incarcerated people.
- Delay the Box: Delay the point during the application process at which applicants must disclose their criminal record.
- CRES: At least two paid black students must sit on the CRES committee. CRES should start in 2018. One new black faculty hire for 2018-2019.
Demands from Day of Boycott 9/25/17
- Day Off
- The last Monday of September is a paid day off for everyone at Reed until our demands are met.
- Investment Reform
- Change the operating bank of the school from Wells Fargo to a bank that is not invested in the prison industrial complex or environmental racism.
- Transparency and reform regarding Reed’s investments in unethical companies.
- Community Safety
- Preference in CSO hiring process for applicants not affiliated with the police.
- No CSOs with current police-affiliated jobs.
- Mandatory anti-racism training for CSOs.
- Release comprehensive AOD demographic data (by student) to RAR annually.
- Faculty sign a contract saying they won’t call the cops.
- Csos Shouldn't be involved with ICE.
- Document race of interactions CSOs have with students.
- Admissions Transparency
- Release comprehensive admissions data (by student) to RAR annually.
- Financial Aid Reform/Admissions
- Create need-based emergency reparations grants for black students.
- Schedule college admissions visits to all predominantly black schools in Oregon.
- Preference for low-SES students in the housing lottery.
- Board Plan B is the minimum for financial aid packages.
Regularly adjust off-campus housing stipend to rising housing costs.
Pay students for meeting with the people that come with the diversity fly-in.
Admissions counselors poc
Stop using the SAT/ACT
No one should have to leave because of financial reasons.
POC financial aid advisors
Free tuition for staff’s kids
Formerly incarcerated outreach
No incarceration box
Alt common app
- Creation of Space
- Build a brick-and-mortar students of color center.
- Dorm in Grove by 2018
- Curricular Reform
- Release the new Hum 110 syllabus to RAR.
- Critical Race and Ethnic Studies (CRES) starts in 2018
- 1 black faculty
- 2 students of color that sit on CRES committee, black student outreach intern& black student coordinator should be on committee
- Longevity of program
- Include demographic data (of student respondents) in the faculty review process.
- Formal apology from Nigel Nicholson
- Dissent Policy
- Dissent policy reform (strike “orderly processes” and “such acts”).
- Nigel Nicholson needs to tell people that the dissent policy was created out of anti-blackness.
- Faculty can't honor case students, or we need legal representation, or the ability to reciprocate
- No sanctions if just dissent policy is violated and not honor principle.
- Release the demographics of instances when students have been targeted for breaking the dissent policy.
- Student Services
- Low SES & ISS career counseling in Prexy.
- Credit and Compensation for all RAR victories
An anti-racist school is not anti-racist if the space and work of the black people that made it that way are not respected.
View the list of demands from last year's boycott (9/26/16) here. While some have been met, many of last year's demands are still unfulfilled.
Some things RAR has accomplished so far: